1. Pre-read to the end of Act I. 2. Annotation and discussion 3. Watch Act I. Monday, May 13th - Thursday, May 23rd Tuesday, May 14th - Friday, May 24th
1. Silent reading and reference book entries 2. Work on part II of Inquiry Project.
Tuesday, April 23rd Wednesday, April 24th
1. Silent reading and reference books 2. Go over Inquiry Term Project outline. 3. Choose texts to explore and brainstorm possible topics.
Monday, April 15th Tuesday, April 16th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Poetry performance rehearsal
Wednesday, April 3rd Thursday, April 4th
1. Reading and Term 3 reference book entries 2. Pre-conferences with teacher for slam poets and response performers Sign-up for recitation performers 3. Brainstorming (slam and response) TPCAST (recitation)
Monday, April 1st Tuesday, April 2nd
1. Reading and reference books 2. Watch "True Colors" by Artists Against on YouTube. 3. Read "The Passionate Shepherd to His Love" and "The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd." 4. Go over poetry performance options and criteria for each one. 5. Planning time
Thursday, March 14th Friday, March 15th
1. Silent reading / finish reference book entry for March 2. Slam poetry
Tuesday, March 12th Wednesday, March 13th
1. Reading / work on reference book entry for March 2. Short, final rehearsal 3. Present dramatic readings.
Friday, March 8th Monday, March 11th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Dramatic reading rehearsal
Wednesday, March 6th Thursday, March 7th
1. Silent reading and reference books 2. Watch student poetry scene in "Dead Poets' Society" and go over presentation skills. 3. Dramatic reading rehearsal
Monday, March 4th (Block H)
1. Watch One-Act plays by drama students in the theatre.
Tuesday, March 5th (Block B)
1. Guest speaker in the theatre
Friday, March 1st Wednesday, March 6th
1. Silent reading / work on reference book entry for March 2. Poetry readings (sonnets from the class) 3. Finish TPCAST with dramatic reading group. 4. Prepare performance and rehearse poem.
Wednesday, February 27th Thursday, February 28th
1. Reading and reference book entries 2. TPCAST notes 3. TPCAST poem selection
Monday, February 25th Tuesday, February 26th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Write final copies of sonnets and hand in with prep work.
Thursday, February 21st Friday, February 22nd
1. Silent reading / begin Term 3 reference book entries 2. Meet with editing teams for sonnets. 3. Final editing
Wednesday, February 13th Thursday, February 14th
1. Reading and finish Term 2 reference book entries 2. Work on sonnet draft.
Thursday, February 7th Friday, February 8th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Begin prep work for original sonnet.
Friday, February 1st Monday, February 4th
1. Silent reading / reference book work period 2. Poetry Poker
Wednesday, January 30th Thursday, January 31st
1. Reading and work on reference book entries 2. Hink Pinks, Hinky Pinkies, and Hinkety Pinketies! 3. Go over poetry analysis notes.
Monday, January 28th Tuesday, January 29th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Write final copies of compare and contrast essays and hand in with all prep work.
Wednesday, January 23rd Thursday, January 24th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Block A - Counselling Presentation 3. Essay editing teams
Monday, January 21st Tuesday, January 22nd
1. Silent reading / work on reference books 2. Meet with editing teams and mark essay drafts together. 3. Begin final copies. 4. Block H - Counselling Presentation
Thursday, January 17th Friday, January 18th
1. Silent reading / work on Term 2 reference book entries 2. Finish compare and contrast essay draft.
1. Silent reading / reference books 2. Work on compare and contrast essay outline.
Thursday, December 20th Friday, December 21st
1. Silent reading / work on reference books 2. Finalize compare and contrast essay topic. 3. Watch "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" and discuss how it connects to sonnets and Shakespeare. 4. Formal vs. informal writing practice with Christmas carol titles
Friday, December 14th Monday, December 17th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Go over compare and contrast essay notes. 3. Double mark student essay samples. 4. Choose a topic for a compare and contrast essay.
Wednesday, December 12th Thursday, December 13th
1. Silent reading and reference books 2. Finish personal response with quotation integration and hand in good copy with prep work.
Monday, December 10th Tuesday, December 11th
1. Silent reading / reference book entries for Term 2 2. Work on personal response with quotation integration.
Wednesday, November 28th Thursday, November 29th
1. Silent reading / pick up marked reference books and begin Term 2 entries 2. Finish annotation assignment and hand in by the end of class.
Wednesday, November 21st Thursday, November 22nd
1. Reading and add last-minute details to reference book 2. Hand in Term 1 reference book entries. 3. Work on annotation assignment.
Friday, November 16th (block H)
1. Reading and work on reference book 2. Begin annotation assignment.
Friday, November 9th (block H) Wednesday, November 14th Tuesday, November 13th (block A) Thursday, November 15th
1. Literacy Assessment
Thursday, November 8th (block A)
1. Reading and November reference book entries 2. Begin annotation assignment
Tuesday, November 6th Wednesday, November 7th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Write final copy of point of view assignment and hand in with all prep work.
Friday, October 26th Monday, October 29th
1. Silent reading / reference book entries 2. Work on outline for point of view assignment.
Wednesday, October 24th Thursday, October 25th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Go over point of view assignment outline. 3. Work on outline and draft.
Tuesday, October 23rd
1. Go over point of view assignment outline. 2. Assembly
Wednesday, October 17th Thursday, October 18th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Define literary terms used in "Choices." 3. Read the short story, "Choices." 4. Work on discussion questions.
Monday, October 15th Tuesday, October 16th
1. Silent reading and work on reference book 2. Finish notes for discussion questions and share. 3. Inferences - definition and practice exercises
Thursday, October 11th Friday, October 12th
1. Reading and reference book entries 2. Read "Harrison Bergeron." 3. Work on discussion questions.
Thursday, October 4th Friday, October 5th
1. Reading and reference books 2. Review short story terms. 3. Read "The Possibility of Evil" and work on comprehension questions in short story booklet.
Tuesday, October 2nd Wednesday, October 3rd
1. Reading break and begin October reference book entry. 2. Write final copy of original composition and hand in with prep work by the end of class.
Friday, September 28th Monday, October 1st
1. Silent reading and work on reference entries. 2. Informal reference book check 3. Peer edit original composition drafts.
Monday, September 24th Tuesday, September 25th
1. Silent reading and reference books 2. Continue working on first draft.
Monday, September 17th Tuesday, September 18th
1. Reading break and work on September reference book entry. 2. Begin writing first draft of original composition.
Thursday, September 13th Friday, September 14th
1. Reading break and September entries for reference books 2. Finish essay outline and begin writing first draft.
Tuesday, September 11th Wednesday, September 12th
1. Silent reading and reference books 2. Go over the writing rubric together. 3. Read grade 10 essay samples and mark them on the rubric. 4. Prepare an outline for the first essay.
Friday, September 7th Monday, September 10th
1. Work on September entries in reference book / silent reading 2. Writers' Workshop - use of vivid language - formal vs. informal style - review basic essay and short story structure
Wednesday, September 5th Thursday, September 6th
1. Complete a Facebook profile. 2. Go over the course outline, academic honesty contract, and personal reference book outline. 3. Watch a YouTube video and connect it to the course. 4. Creative writing piece
Please have your course outline and academic honesty contract signed and bring a novel and/or your personal reference book to class next day.M